Monday, July 5, 2010


Oh my goodness it has been such a long time since I've blogged. I have been SO BUSY these last few months. Where do I even begin?!
Over Memorial Day weekend I went to St. Louis with some of the coffee talk girls. It was probably one of the best trips I've ever had in my whole life. First off, I didn't have to take care of the kids, so even if we had taken a trip to Carthage, MO to see Civil War reenactments (I tried to think of one of the most boring places you could go) it would have been a blast. The whole time I kept saying "This is so fun!" or "How fun is this right now?!" and got some stares like "Uhh you don't get out much do you Marie..." I know they all agreed with me; I just like to tell everyone when I'm having fun (or not). We drank lots of wine, ate frozen yogurt for dinner one night, went to the movies, did everything spontaneously, and enjoyed being together. Oh and 4 of us got nose piercings!

The next day I drove down to Wichita with Em and Kelly and threw a surprise baby shower for Rach with her sister-in-law Katie. I told Donita to tell Rach that it was just going to be family and maybe some ladies from church. She showed up and saw us! I wish we could have been together longer, but it was so good to catch up and see her cute little pregnant bump before she and Brandon headed off to Florida.

Then, the next day after that we went to D.C. to see Devin's dad retire from the ARMY after nearly 40 years of service. It was amazing to see all the Rileys' friends and family that traveled from really far away to be there for such an important day. Old high school buddies, an 89 year old Uncle, his mom and siblings, all his kids and grandchildren, etc. etc. I can't imagine how wonderful it must have felt for him to accomplish something so huge and then see all the faces of your support systems through the years congratulating you. It is almost like a little glimpse of heaven. Heyyyy...kinda like the LOST season finale (which I loved by the way)!! I digress....

We arrived home and then had a good visit from Aunt Shel. She and my mom threw a cute princess party for Addison's 4th birthday. Devin and I bought Addison her first bike. When we wheeled it out Ainsley was as excited as Addison was, and Addison was nice enough to let Ainsley try it out first.

Aunt Shel made the cake and did a great job. The girls decorated princess crowns and played princess games and had lots of fun. While she was here, we also shopped for a bridesmaid dress for me and flower girl dresses for Darren and Amanda's wedding in Colorado which was coming up that next weekend. These next pictures were taken at the Kansas City Toy and Miniature Museum near the plaza. I love being with my mom and aunt.

A couple days later we took off for Buena Vista, Colorado to be in Darren and Amanda's wedding at Spring Canyon. My camera is a real piece, so I didn't take any pictures, but I am hoping to steal my sister in law's from facebook when she gets around to posting them...hint...hint...

Ainsley is almost 17 months old and is SO DIFFERENT from Addison! It just blows me away. She doesn't like any of her toys and would much rather play with Addison's stuff, she loves entertaining people, she's LOUD and silly, and gets into everything, and I see lots and lots and lots of time outs in her future. I also see a lot of laughs.

I'll post more about our Colorado trip and our crazy adventure home another time, but I am so happy to be home. This week I did nothing but read Breaking Dawn (you can go ahead and add me to the list of Twi-moms who let their house and kids go so they can do nothing but read Twilight books). It was shameful, really. Instead of feeding Ainsley cereal, I stuck her in a high chair with a bowl of dry cheerios and a cup of milk so she could feed herself. Addison stayed in her pajamas all day (I did too). The girls weren't complaing though. They had a blast running through the sprinkler in the backyard, although I will admit that Ainsley was stark naked (except for her crocs) while I read my book. I also went to the Eclipse midnight showing with some friends and had such a fun time.

Well that's enough blogging for one day! More to come...


Snorts & Giggles said...

Welcome back you adventurous gal! =)

H.E.A. said...

Yay for nose piercings!!! :)
I am so glad to hear you are having such a great time traveling and being crazy.

I'll look forward to hearing more!!

annaO said...

That is such a cute dress you wore to the baby shower! And yes our trip was SO MUCH FUN! :)

TheBorman5 Plus1 said...

Gosh you have been a busy mama lately! The pictures are great, your girls sure are getting big. Time goes too fast, enjoy your summer!

Erika said...

Coffee talk girls trip...sounds like a blast! Here is the pie crust recipe. It makes two 10 inch crusts:

2 2/3 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 c. shortening
7-8 T. cold water (I put ice in the water)

Measure flour and salt into bowl, mix. Cut in shortening thoroughly. (I use a fork, you can use one of those pastry thingies too.) Sprinkle in water, 1 T. at a time, until all flour is moistened and dough almost cleans side of bowl. (I do the first 3-4 T. at once, then add one at a time. Sometimes it takes a T. extra.) Roll them out and fill pie however you like!

Bake 425 degrees for 40-50 minutes.

(I like brush milk on top of the pie and sprinkle with sugar. Also, I put tin foil around the edges of the pie while it bakes, except for the last 15-20 minutes. This keeps the edges from burning.)